Giant Eagle Contact Lenses FAQ
For more information about our fuelperks!®
program, please visit our fuelperks!®
- Do I need a prescription to order contact lenses from you online?
In order to purchase contact lenses, you must have a current contact lens prescription which specifies the power, size, type and brand of lens. In most cases, a contact lens prescription is valid a year from when the prescription was written. Some states observe a two-year timeframe. Check with your eye care professional if you are unsure if your prescription is still valid. Learn more about How to Read a Contact Lens Prescription.
- How do I send you my prescription?
It's easy! If this is your first time ordering with us, or you have a new or updated prescription, you will need to send it to Giant Eagle® Contact Lenses for verification. You can fax it to us, send it via e-mail, or provide us with your eye care professional's name and we will contact them to verify for you. Learn more about How to Send Your Prescription.
- Do I need to send my prescription when I reorder contact lenses?
If we still have your valid prescription on file and you are ordering the same lenses as those prescribed to you, then you do not have to re-send your prescription for verification when you reorder lenses. However, if you have a new prescription or your prescription has changed (new type of lens, change in power) you will need to send that prescription to us for verification.
- Is a prescription for contact lenses different from a prescription for eyeglasses?
Yes, a prescription for contact lenses is different from a prescription for eyeglasses. If you do not have a current prescription for contact lenses but would like to purchase them, make an appointment with your eye care professional for a contact lens fitting. You can take your prescription with you once it is finalized.
- Do I still need a prescription if I just want contacts to change my eye color?
Yes, you still need to be fitted for the lenses even if you don't require vision correction. This is because contact lenses are medical devices and wearing them can affect the health of your eyes.
- Why is it necessary for contact lens wearers to have regular eye exams even if their prescription hasn't changed?
Regular eye exams are important not only to check your prescription but also to evaluate the health of your eyes. This is especially important for contact lens wearers because the contacts could be causing damage to your eyes without necessarily causing any obvious symptoms.
- Will Giant Eagle® Contact Lenses accept my Vision Insurance?
Giant Eagle® Contact Lenses is unable to accept assignment of Vision Benefits in payment for contact lenses. All orders must be paid in full at the time of ordering. However, many Vision Insurance providers will accept claims for reimbursement for contact lens purchases on provision of a dated, itemized receipt. A suitable copy of your receipt will be included with your order. You can also print additional copies of your order receipts by logging into your account and using the clickable link entitled "printable receipt". If you believe you may be able to claim reimbursement for all or part of your order, it is important to check with your vision insurance provider before placing your order with Giant Eagle® Contact Lenses.
- Can I use my HSA, FSA, or Flex Benefits on my purchase?
Contact Lenses are eligible for reimbursement using most Health Savings Accounts, FSAs, or Flex Benefits. Check with your healthcare provider for an approved list of products. In many cases these benefits do not roll over and are gone if you do not use them by the end of the year.
If you are using an employee issued FSA credit card, simply enter this card as your payment method at checkout.
Read more on our FSA Details Page, and stock up now using your FSA or Flex Benefits.
- Can I have my order shipped to my Giant Eagle Pharmacy®?
No, your order will be shipped directly to your door. Plus, your shipping is free on orders over $99!
- How long will it take for my lenses to arrive?
The vast majority of all US orders arrive within the 7-10 day delivery time stated on our Web site. However, the majority of orders that are shipped from stock will arrive significantly sooner.
- Can I wear soft contact lenses if I need bifocals?
Yes, there are a number of contact lenses designed for people who need bifocal (multifocal) correction. Some of the more popular disposable toric lenses include the Acuvue Bifocal ,the Purevision Multifocal and the Proclear Multifocal.
- If my two week disposable lenses are still comfortable and in good condition beyond two weeks, can I continue to wear the same pair?
In order to maintain optimal eye health and comfort, it is important to adhere to the wearing schedule prescribed by your doctor. The main advantage of wearing disposable lenses is that you are putting a fresh new pair of lenses in your eyes every two weeks. Also, the convenient cleaning regimen of a disposable lens is only adequate for a two week wearing schedule.
- If I only wear my two week disposable contacts part time, do I still have to replace them every two weeks?
No, the two weeks refers to the actual amount of wearing time so they can last longer than two weeks if you are not wearing them full time.
- Your site lists my lens as two week disposables, but my doctor says I can wear them for four weeks. Which is correct?
The lens wearing schedules on our site are provided by contact lens manufacturers. However, doctors may decide on a different wearing schedule (shorter or longer) for an individual patient based on wearing habits, lifestyle, cleaning methods etc. You should always follow the wearing schedule prescribed by your doctor.
- What's the difference between rigid gas permeable (RGP) lenses and soft lenses?
RGPs are smaller and made out of a harder, less pliable material than soft lenses which makes them less comfortable initially. RGPs correct some astigmatism whereas soft spherical lenses do not.
- Can I swim with my contact lenses in?
It is best if you don't because there are bacteria in the water that can adhere to your lenses and cause infections. If you do swim in your lenses, you should wear goggles over them and you should disinfect them immediately afterwards.
- I wear contact lenses and in order for me to read, I have to wear reading glasses over them. Are there any other alternatives whereby I don't have to wear glasses at all?
Yes, the most common option is called monovision where one eye is corrected for viewing distant objects and the other eye is corrected for reading and close work. Monovision is a good solution for some people, but not everybody can successfully adapt to the arrangement. Another alternative is bifocal contact lenses which are available in both rigid gas permeable or soft lens designs.
- Do colored contact lenses work on dark eyes?
Yes, they are called opaque contacts as opposed to enhancer tints which work only on light colored eyes. Year-long (daily wear and extended wear) opaque contacts are available in many different colors and shades. There are also several disposable colored lenses for dark eyes including Freshlook Colors and Acuvue 2 Colors
- How does the Federal Law "Fairness To Contact Lens Consumers" Act affect me?
On February 4th, 2004, a Federal Law called the "Fairness To Contact Lens Consumers" act went into effect. The law requires your eye-doctor to release your prescription. If Giant Eagle® Contact Lenses requests confirmation of your prescription from your doctor, he/she is legally required to confirm the prescription within eight business hours. If your doctor fails to respond to our request within eight business hours, the law allows us to assume the prescription is valid. We are allowed to contact your doctor by phone, fax or email. We generally use fax and/or phone to request confirmation of prescriptions.
- How can you offer such low prices on contact lenses?
We can offer low pricing because of our large purchasing power. We are able to negotiate the best possible pricing from contact lens manufacturers and distributors. We simply pass those savings along to our customers.
- How can I be sure I receive email offers and updates from you?
You should add email@example.com to your whitelist or "friends" to make sure our emails are correctly received. If you change your email address, please take a moment to log-in to your account, and update to the new address.
- Will I earn fuelperks!® on every single item that I purchase from the Giant Eagle® Contact Lenses Website?
The vast majority of purchased items are eligible. There are certain exclusions where you will not earn fuelperks!®, including the cost of shipping and tax. Also, you will not earn fuelperks!® on state- or federally-funded prescriptions.
- Why don’t I see fuelperks!® applied to my fuelperks!® account after I’ve completed a purchase from the Giant Eagle® Contact Lenses Web site?
The fuelperks!® earned on your purchase will be applied to your account when your order ships. The time between when you complete your transaction online and when your order ships will vary. You can always check your available fuelperks!® discount by visiting GiantEagle.com and selecting "My Account." From there you can access your fuelperks!® statement to see your available discount. You can also call Giant Eagle® Customer Care at 1-800-553-2324 with any questions about your fuelperks!® balance.
- Do tax and shipping costs earn fuelperks!®?
Tax and shipping costs do not earn fuelperks!®.
- What happens to the fuelperks!® I received if I make a return?
If you return a contact lenses purchase and you've already received credit for fuelperks!®, the fuelperks!® you were credited will be deducted from your fuelperks!® account. If the amount of fuelperks!® debited exceeds your fuelperks!® balance then your account will show a negative balance.
- What happens if I redeem fuelperks!® and then return the item(s) purchased that allowed me to earn?
Your fuelperks!® account will be debited the exact amount the item(s) purchased allowed you to be awarded, potentially resulting in a negative fuelperks!® balance if fuelperks!® remaining are less than amount debited.
- How do I earn fuelperks!®?
fuelperks!® are earned in increments of $0.10 for every $50 spent unless specified otherwise.
- Can I pay for my purchase of contact lenses with my Giant Eagle fuelperks!® Credit Card?
The Giant Eagle fuelperks!® Credit Card cannot be used for contact lens purchases.
- Can I use a Giant Eagle® gift card on my purchase of contact lenses?
Giant Eagle® gift cards cannot be redeemed online for the purchase of contact lenses.